Sunday, November 20, 2016

Annual Mini Thanksgiving


I'm semi-finished decorating last week. I still want to stop at Target and see what I want to add to my collection. I'm still deciding on getting a third big tree, but I have a feeling that will have to wait a year (insert sad face here). I want one of the trees with the fake snow on it. Those are so beautiful!

My pups are always so curious to find out what I'm doing. SO nosy, I swear. There is always one peeking around the corner to see what I'm doing. It is even worse when I open the freezer because I give them frozen green beans as treats haha!

Is it just me or is it even easier to keep a clean house around the holidays? I don't mean that it doesn't become a mess, which it does, but cleaning it isn't so bad because I want to keep the house cozy. I just turn on daytime tv which is full of Holiday stuff right now and mindlessly get things done. Why can't it be like this all year long?! Great time of year to be productive though, so you burn through those high calorie feasts lol!


I don't always love cooking, but I DO love holiday cooking! Since we mostly go to relatives houses during Thanksgiving, it doesn't give me much of a chance to work on my culinary prowess. So we always have a specific day before Thanksgiving where I whip up my little family a semi-feast.I stick to the main plates, and I'm able to stick with my inflammation diet for my chronic illness. Which is nice, so I'm not experiencing an increase in pain for a week after eating.

I made everything wheat and dairy free (besides butter, because it doesn't seem to effect my body too much). Pamela's gluten free flours & cashew milk are my saviors! The biscuits, gravy, and mashed potatoes turned out so good, I can't stop eating the leftovers. I hadn't had a biscuit in over a year ( I love biscuits...) and being able to have one that was absolutely delicious made me so unbelievably happy.


I did make a turkey! I always get a pre-brined turkey (out of laziness haha!), herb butter under the skin, slathered in olive oil over the skin, and cook it Good Eats style! It never fails! Done within 4 hours, practically falling off the bone and crispy skin!

I did not get a picture of it because I didn't tuck the wings properly and it looked like it could of taken off in flight HAHA!

It was nice sitting down with my little family. My wife & I had wine and big platefuls of delicious food and my daughter stuffed herself on rolls & sprite (never fails). Then we went around the table sharing with one another what we are most thankful for. One thing was for sure, we are definitely thankful for each other and the joy we each bring to each others lives.


After we gorged ourselves on the delicious meal and my daughter with her rolls, we headed to the theater to see Fantastic Beasts. Which was not only fantastic, but also a fantastic way to end an amazing evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment